Last week was a long fucking week. Some good, some bad, and some just numbing. It’s the burned out zone for everyone. The Crush of Christmas and the daylight that lasts minutes. After reading 39 essays this weekend (not done), it’s time to take note of all that occurred.
1. Dogs will puke in the middle of the night. With no warning. And they are especially gifted at spreading it over the side of the bed and onto the floor.
2. Some mothers love their sons unconditionally. You know, except if their sons are gay. If that’s the case, they are told not to discuss it and instead focus on academics.
3. My skin sloughs off in flakes when the temperature falls below 30 degrees. Even with moisturizer.
4. Just when I think my bladder has a lifetime record for expansion, it proves me wrong. It might be using steroids.
5. Some girls have older brothers who molested them. And they need to write about it. And they still come to school and work hard.
6. Panic attacks can strike anytime and anywhere. And there are some super compassionate people who will help out.
7. Boys from Kentucky will take a stand against other boys who disrespect women– even if it means getting suspended.
8. One drink is enough to relax. Two drinks causes instant fatigue and a restless night’s sleep.
9. Try the snowblower more than two days before the first major snow storm.
10. Students can discuss non-binary gender identities intelligently in class.
11. Getting only four hours of sleep causes me to swear in class by sixth hour. Nothing horrible. The minor swears.
12. “Take it Easy” by The Eagles is more than a song– it’s a life goal
13. Some people are quietly fabulous at what they do and deserve a fucking medal for the above and beyond work they do. Especially behind the scenes.
14. Depression about one thing can be stuffed away when a crisis pops up. But it will simmer and emerge again.
15. I can survive a hot flash during a Friday evaluation. My shirt, however, cannot. So glad I had a cardigan over it.
16. I have some fucking awesome kids. They light my path on a regular basis.
17. I reward myself way too often with chocolate. For things that aren’t reward-worthy. Like finishing a day at work. Completing a level in Candy Crush. Making it to 8pm.
18. I’m starting to believe I can make it until Christmas break. The snow day helps. A lot.
19. Sometimes the weather forecasters are right.
20. Insomnia runs in phases. If anyone’s up between 12 and 2, I’m your gal.